WHO SHOULD GET THE FLU VACCINATION?
While everyone should consider getting a flu vaccine, it’s especially important that the following at risk groups get vaccinated:
• Persons aged 65 or over
• Persons aged 18 and over with chronic illness requiring regular follow up such as diabetes, lung or heart disease*
• People with impaired immune systems due to disease or treatment including those with missing or non-functioning spleens
• Persons with a body mass index (BMI) of over 40
• Pregnant women at any stage of pregnancy
• Residents of nursing homes and other long stay facilities
• Healthcare workers
• People with regular close contact with poultry, water fowl or pigs
• Cancer patients*
*please speak to your pharmacist for more information
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR FREE VACCINATION?
Administration of the Flu Vaccine is free to all Medical Card, Doctor Visit Card & HAA card holders who are over 65 or who belong to one of the at-risk groups. **Ask your local LloydsPharmacy pharmacist about getting the flu vaccination this year and check if you are entitled to receive it for FREE.
WHAT SHOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT THE FLU VACCINATION?
What is the winter flu vaccine? Each year the seasonal flu vaccine contains three common influenza virus strains. The flu virus changes each year and therefore a new flu vaccine has to be given each year.
So how does the vaccine work? Seasonal flu vaccine helps a person’s immune system to produce antibodies to the flu virus. When someone who has been vaccinated comes into contact with virus, these anti-bodies attack the virus.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT AFTER THE VACCINE?
The most common side effects and symptoms will be mild including:
• Soreness, swelling or redness at the injection site
• Headache, fever, aches & pains or tiredness may occur
• Mild sweating and shivering which will pass in a day or so. This is not the flu. It is your immune system responding to the vaccine.
HOW MUCH DOES THIS SERVICE COST?
• If you are over 65 years, or an at-risk patient aged 18-64, who holds a Medical Card, Doctor Visit Card or has HAA eligibility, winter flu vaccination is FREE.
• If you are over 65, or one of the at-risk patients aged 18-64, and are not eligible for any of the above schemes, winter flu vaccination costs €15.
• For all other customers over 18 years outside of the categories above, winter flu vaccination costs €20.
Please call your local LloydsPharmacy to make an appointment for your vaccination or you can make an appointment in store.
**Discuss with pharmacist for suitability.